Monday, September 5, 2016

The Countdown Begins....

Only a couple more hours until I leave for Italy!

Am I nervous? Well, at this point I've been so focused on making sure that I have all the necessary materials for going to a foreign country that I haven't even had time to panic about the fact that I am, indeed, going to a foreign country. A large, foreign country where I will only have a rough idea of the language and live in a stranger's house while I try to immerse myself in a completely different culture.

Ok, so maybe I'm panicking a little bit, but at the end of the day, I know that I'm due for an unforgettable adventure, and that I must remain open minded and positive throughout every new experience.

The best way to maintain a positive demeanor through it all? Making sure that you are prepared to undertake everyday life while exploring your new surroundings, which means packing enough clothing and other essentials to uphold a busy lifestyle without a hitch.

Now this can often result in over-packing which can lead to extra airline fees, so it is very important to make a list beforehand so that you get a rough idea of what you need. Luckily my program provided all of its students with a helpful handbook and packing list to give us an idea of what we would need to bring and what we would be able to get over there.

Making a list also helps you remember to pack your passport, visa, other necessary documents and their copies that you will need to enter the country. Keeping these things together in a folder will make your life much easier when you have to pass through customs.

Looking up the weather forecast for your stay in your respective country is also a good indicator of what would be beneficial to bring. When looking up the weather in Ferrara, Italy, I found out that it will gradually change from mid 80s to low 40s throughout the time that I will be there, meaning that I needed to bring multi-seasonal clothing choices along with my winter coat and several jackets,

This leads us to another packing tip: Travel Space Bags. These handy dandy bags helped flatten my winter coat, jacket, sweaters and pants so that I could fit more clothes in my suitcases without over-stuffing them (aka helping to keep my bags within the necessary dimensions). They also help to keep everything organized within the suitcase to make unpacking easier when you get there.

Pause...
When I get there..
I'm going to be there.
I am going to Italy in a couple of hours guys!!!

Wish me luck!!






No comments:

Post a Comment